Tikil Gomen (Braised Cabbage)
This Ethiopian-inspired recipe for braised cabbage and potatoes is flavored with garlic, ginger, cumin, and turmeric. Cooking a halved and seeded jalapeño along with the other ingredients adds some depth and mild heat to this dish—just make sure you remove the jalapeño before serving! Enjoy with with Ethiopian lentils, injera, and cucumber yogurt salad.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- ½ teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, onion, carrot, potatoes, and jalapeño and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and turmeric and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the water and stir to combine. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and salt and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes more, until the cabbage is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. Remove from heat.