Making your own pizza is a satisfying accomplishment. This delicious version uses fresh tomatoes and less cheese than most. You can bake these pizzas on cookie sheets in a preheated 425 degree oven instead of cooking them on the stovetop. Enjoy with this tri-color salad on the side.
Makes three 10-inch pizzas
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ tsp baking yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1¾ cups unbleached white flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 5 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
Make the pizza dough
- In a medium bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let sit 2 to 3 minutes, until the yeast is dissolved. Stir in the honey and whole wheat flour.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the white flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the whole wheat mixture, stirring to form a rough dough.
- On a clean, lightly floured work surface, knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Cover the dough and let it rise while you prepare the pizza toppings.
Prepare the pizza toppings
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses. In another bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Make the pizzas
- Divide the dough to make 3 equal balls. On a clean, lightly floured work surface, roll each ball into a circle that is 10 inches in diameter.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet or griddle over medium high heat until it is hot.
- Transfer the rolled pizza crust to the skillet or griddle and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the dough.
- Spread one third of the tomato mixture on top of the cooked side of the dough to make an even layer. Top with ¼ cup of the cheese mixture.
- Cover the pan and continue to cook the pizza until the toppings are hot and the bottom of the crust is golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pizza to a cutting board and cut into wedges to serve. Repeat this process to make 2 more pizzas.